Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Pacing exercise



While working on this short story, i thought I'd take a step back and really pay attention to the pacing of the story. Sure i pay attention to it always, BUT it's an instinct of mine that i trust and follow. For academic purposes, i thought I'd try this. I wrote and outline, word doc. Then i broke the outline down into pages, in layout templates. I titled each page with the purpose of the page, and wrote down the necessary beats for each page. These beats were loosely going to become my panels. I then blocked in my panels on another template page. Now i can see how panel count and panel size affect the pacing of the story. I think this would be even more successful over a graphic novel, where you can have GIANT MOMENTS vs. tiny moments. All in all, this was interesting.

No comments: